5 Clean Eating Weight Loss Tricks
We often see and hear how you can loose weight the “easy” way, without diet change, without exercise, just take these supplements….REALLY? When we look into human physiology, we can learn volumes by observing the basics. One of the most basic pillars of health is pH. pH stands for potential Hydrogen and is a measure of the acid/alkaline balance in your body. The more acidic your diet, the more acidic your physiology becomes….go figure? Without going into too much detail, the bottom line for weight loss and more important, increased health, is incorporating a diet that promotes an alkaline lifestyle. There are numerous references that will provide details on alkaline foods. The idea is to consume 80% alkaline foods and 20% acidic foods….easy right? The most acidic foods are be soda, alcohol, coffee and black tea, beef, chicken, pork, cheese, dairy and sugars, just to name a few. The most alkalizing foods are greens, broccoli, sprouts, green drinks and some vegetables.
I am frequently asked about protein when discussing an alkalizing diet. The thing to remember is staying to the 80/20 rule…only 20% of your foods are acidic, therefore most of your food will be alkaline. So now the 5 Tricks:
- Drink an ample amount of water. The formula that makes the most sense is to drink half of your body weight in ounces of water. If you weigh 100 lbs., you drink 50 ounces of water, 150 lbs., 75 ounces of water….simple! If plain water is too boring then add lemon or lime for flavor. Unfortunately carbonation is acidic and should be avoided as a daily drink. If you want to create an alkalizing drink you can use a green drink or add Himalayan salt to your first morning water, it will alkalize you as well as help flush out accumulated toxins.
- Eat at least one salad per day. Greens and some vegetables are high in nutrients and alkalizing (this is an easy one to do).
- Breakfast. This seems to be difficult for many people as we are accustomed to cereal, eggs, coffee and fast foods. It is OK to have soup, salad, sprouted cereal, green drinks or broccoli with some onions and/or other vegetables with almonds and a suitable dressing. Experiment on what elevates your energy, provides nutrients and makes you feel good.
- Snacks. There are numerous books that will help you design a program to incorporate healthy snacks as well as ideas for a variety of dishes that alkalize your system and increase overall health.
- Green drinks. This is one of my favorites. If you can find a green drink that you like, you can use it as a snack, meal replacement, emergency food or quick breakfast. The green drinks are usually a combination of freeze dried vegetables, greens and antioxidant fruits…many are delicious! The staff at Fresh and Natural can help you with this.
In conclusion, there is nothing that will replace planning, education and dedication. If your goal is to increase your health and loose weight, it has to become a part of your lifestyle vs. a program to loose weight. Utilizing a balanced program will create a situation that will increase longevity as well and overall health and well being. The alkaline lifestyle is the basis for promoting health today and long into the future. Two books that I would recommend would be:
- The pH Miracle by Robert Young
- Alkalize or Die by Theodore Baroody
Wishing you a healthy year!
Paul Westby DC, DACBN