Berry and Asparagus Salad with Spiced Walnuts
If you are looking for a fast, fresh and easy salad to showcase Summer berries, look no further. I have a simple salad for you that comes together fast, and it is elegant enough to be served to guests, but also easy enough to be made on a weeknight. It combines fresh arugula with organic berries, savory asparagus, and toasted spiced walnuts for a combination that is not only delicious but healthy. It is packed with antioxidants, vitamins and heart healthy oils. This is the perfect light salad to be served alongside a protein, or just as is. It has a light lemon vinaigrette to enhance the flavors of the fruits and veggies. This is something I make often, and it may just become your favorite Summer salad as well!
Amy currently works in our deli contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan dessert and food blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She is also a cookbook author, of the books Just Vegan Cakes, Fragrant Vanilla Cake: Sweet and Savory and Rawlicious Desserts. She specializes in raw, vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local,fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- To make the walnuts, preheat the oven to 375F degrees, and oil a sheet pan.
- Toss the walnuts with the maple syrup, coconut sugar, cinnamon, chipotle powder and sea salt and spread out on the pan. Roast for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown, and crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the arugula, berries, and asparagus, and some of the walnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, avocado oil, maple syrup, and sea salt.
- Combine the lemon mixture with the salad in the bowl, and toss to coat.
- Serve, topped off with more walnuts.
Rate this Recipe
- Heart Healthy
- Side Dish