Corn Cakes with Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
These vegan corn cakes make the perfect easy brunch treat and they happen to be gluten free and vegan but you would never guess by tasting them! Here they are topped off with a seasonal strawberry rhubarb compote, which I should mention is also delicious over ice cream!
Amy currently works in our deli contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan dessert and food blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She is also a cookbook author, of the books Just Vegan Cakes, Fragrant Vanilla Cake: Sweet and Savory and Rawlicious Desserts. She specializes in raw, vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local,fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- In a medium saucepan, toss together the berries, rhubarb, and sugar, and cook over medium heat until the berries are starting to fall apart. Add the cornstarch and lemon juice mixture, stirring constantly and cook just until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all corn cake ingredients until just blended.
- To cook, preheat oven to 110 degrees. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the batter in 1/4 cup amounts (I did 3 at a time, but it depends on your pan), and let cook for about 2-3 minutes on the first side until set and starting to brown, then flip with a spatula, and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- When cooked, place on a plate and keep warm in the oven while you repeat the process with the remaining corn cakes.
- Serve the corn cakes topped with the compote.
Rate this Recipe