Curried Pumpkin and Chickpea Soup
When most people think of pumpkin recipes, they think pumpkin pie. But it is actually really delicious in savory recipes as well! It is really packed with nutrients so it is perfect for adding to recipes to get your nutritional bang for your buck. I especially like it in soups, like this one that combines it with chickpeas for a filling hearty dinner. This is quick and easy to make, and cooks up in about 30 minutes so it is perfect for weeknights!
Amy currently works in our deli contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan dessert and food blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She is also a cookbook author, of the books Just Vegan Cakes, Fragrant Vanilla Cake: Sweet and Savory and Rawlicious Desserts. She specializes in raw, vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local,fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- Add the onions, garlic and oil to a large pot and sautee until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, sea salt and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly so they do not burn, for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and water and bring to a boil.
- Add the squash and green bell pepper and cook 10-15 minutes until tender.
- Add the chickpeas, coconut milk and cilantro and cook 2 minutes more.
Rate this Recipe
- Allergen Friendly
- Heart Healthy