Double Chocolate Energy Bites
Fall can be a busy time of the year, so I like to have healthy snacks on hand for when I need something fast to satisfy hunger. One of my favorite things to make for this purpose is energy bites. The ones I make are high in fiber, protein and heart healthy ingredients so I always feel good about eating them. Also, they taste like dessert, so sometimes I even swap them for cookies because I know it is the healthier option. These ones I am sharing with you today are really delicious and have a chocolate base and chocolate chunks, but don’t contain any refined sugars (I use Luv sugar free dark chocolate)! If you need some healthy delicious snacks in your pantry, give these a try!
Author: Amy Lyons O’Neil
Amy has worked for Fresh and Natural Foods since 2006 contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan food and recipe blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She has also written 3 cookbooks. She specializes in vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local, fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- In a food processor, combine the coconut butter, almond butter, dates, and sea salt and process until smooth.
- Add the cacao powder, protein powder, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and rolled oats and process until mostly smooth (it can have texture but you want it to hold together when squeezed).
- Add the chocolate chunks and pulse until they are evenly distributed.
- Form the mixture into little 1 1/2 inch balls with your hands (you may need to squeeze them a little so they hold together better). Place them on a plate or a tray, and freeze for at least an hour until firm.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Rate this Recipe
- Heart Healthy
- Child Friendly