Glazed Roast Turkey
Thanksgiving is coming up soon. Why not try a new and delicious way to prepare your turkey? This glazed turkey roast has a wonderful double mustard-brown sugar glaze that will make your turkey absolutely delicious. Happy Thanksgiving!
Adapted from BH&G November 2020
Author: Michelle Hanson
Michelle Hanson, MA, RD, LD is Fresh & Natural Food’s Registered Dietitian. She received a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition and Clinical Dietetics with a minor in Community Health from the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities. She is a registered dietitian and current member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Michelle has been a nutrition consultant for numerous years as well as a nutrition research director at the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities.
Michelle is passionate about food and nutrition and believes in helping people find simple, realistic ways to make healthy eating a part of their everyday lifestyle.
If you are interested in meeting Michelle or have questions for her, you can email her at: firstname.lastname@example.org. She will look forward to meeting you!
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Thaw turkey on a tray in the refrigerator for 2-3 days before cooking.
- Remove neck and gizzards from the thawed turkey.
- Rub turkey all over with softened butter.
- Place turkey in roaster pan on a rack breast side down. Cover loosely with foil.
- Roast for 2 hours. Remove foil; turn turkey, breast side up. Continue roasting for 1 1/4 hours or until the thermometer registers 175 degrees (thermometer should not touch bone). Juices should run clear and drumsticks should move easily in their sockets.
- Brush turkey occasionally with mustard-brown sugar glaze (see directions below for the glaze), letting each application soak in before applying the next layer in the last 45 minutes. Be sure to watch that the glaze doesn’t burn on the turkey.
- Remove turkey from oven. Cover with foil; let stand 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
Double Mustard-Brown Sugar Glaze
- In a small saucepan combine 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, 2T Dijon mustard, 2 T whole grain mustard.
- Cook and stir until bubbly. Boil gently, uncovered, 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Makes 2/3 cup.