Gluten Free Carrot Cake Pancakes
Spring makes me think of carrot cake. It is one of my all time favorite desserts, and it always feels a little bit healthier than regular cake because it contains vegetables. At least that is my mentality. I like sneaking in veggies whenever possible. You can enjoy carrot cake for dessert, but I have found a way to enjoy it for breakfast by turning it into delicious pancakes! They taste like dessert but are healthier and these actually happen to be vegan and gluten free as well! If you wanted them to have more protein you could substitute 1/4 cup of the flour with protein powder (I recommend Garden of Life). These pancakes are also free from refined sugar so you can feel good about enjoying them.
Author: Amy Lyons O’Neil
Amy has worked for Fresh and Natural Foods since 2006 contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan food and recipe blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She has also written 3 cookbooks. She specializes in vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local, fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, protein powder, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Whisk in coconut nectar, flax seed mixture, coconut milk, vanilla, olive oil, and carrots until well combined.
- Preheat your oven to 200F degrees.
- Heat a ceramic non-stick frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add ¼ cup of the batter per pancake*. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on the first side, then flip and cook about 2 more minutes until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Place on a plate, and put in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining pancakes.
*If your frying pan is not non-stick, you may need to oil the pan a little to cook the pancakes.
Rate this Recipe