Italian Lentil Stuffed Squash
As the weather is cooling down and we are getting into warm comfort food season I am craving things like stuffed squash. A lot of times I will stuff it with things like rice or apples, but in this recipe I stuffed it with Italian flavored lentils (that remind me of the meat ragout I used to eat growing up without the meat), then topped it off with some vegan mozzarella for a delicious hearty dish. This is packed with fiber and protein so it will fill you up but won’t weigh you down. This is perfect for a chilly Fall or Winter night!
Amy currently works in our deli contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan dessert and food blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She is also a cookbook author, of the books Just Vegan Cakes, Fragrant Vanilla Cake: Sweet and Savory and Rawlicious Desserts. She specializes in raw, vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local,fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- Preheat the oven to 425F degrees, and oil a sheet pan.
- Remove the seeds from the squash and cut into quarters. Drizzle with oil, and place cut side down onto the pan. Place in the oven and roast for about 45 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a pan, and add the onions and garlic. Sautee over medium heat for about 5 minutes until softened, then add the spices and vinegar, tomato sauce and sea salt. Bring to a simmer, and simmer for about 20 minutes than add the lentils and cook until warmed through.
- When the squash has finished cooking, remove from the oven, turn cut side up, and spoon some of the lentil mixture into each quarter.
- Sprinkle each with the mozzarella cheese and place back in the oven. Bake until the cheese is melted, and starting to brown about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Rate this Recipe