I really enjoyed goulash growing up, so I decided to create a healthier plant based version. I make this often, because it is so hearty and delicious but also healthy thanks to the protein and fiber in the lentils. I like to use gluten free pasta made of chickpeas as well, so that adds fiber and protein too!
Author: Amy Lyons O’Neil
Amy has worked for Fresh and Natural Foods since 2006 contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan food and recipe blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She has also written 3 cookbooks. She specializes in vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local, fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan. Add onions, and sauté until tender. Add the garlic, tomatoes, bay leaf, herbs, tamari, pepper, vinegar, and filtered water as needed.
- Bring to a simmer, and allow to cook until the tomatoes are very soft and the flavor has melded, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the canned lentils and allow to heat through, taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions, and drain.
- Mix the pasta into the lentil mixture, and serve.
Rate this Recipe
- Allergen Friendly