Marinated Chicken Salad with Asparagus and Orange
This marinated chicken salad with asparagus and orange sections is so delicious and easy to make. The flavoring mixture, which accounts for most of the ingredients, is quick to assemble and, as a bonus, serves as both a meat marinade and salad dressing. Simply siphon off some of the mixture as a marinade. Whisk extra oil into the rest for a first-rate dressing.
The chicken can be grilled or baked whichever you like. Enjoy!
Modified recipe from Allrecipes.com May, 20222
Author: Michelle Hanson
Michelle Hanson, MA, RD, LD is Fresh & Natural Food’s Registered Dietitian. She received a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition and Clinical Dietetics with a minor in Community Health from the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities. She is a registered dietitian and current member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Michelle has been a nutrition consultant for numerous years as well as a nutrition research director at the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities.
Michelle is passionate about food and nutrition and believes in helping people find simple, realistic ways to make healthy eating a part of their everyday lifestyle.
If you are interested in meeting Michelle or have questions for her, you can email her at: firstname.lastname@example.org. She will look forward to meeting you!
- Whisk the first 7 ingredients plus 2 T oil in a 2-cup measuring cup. Pour all but 3/4 cup of mixture into a gallon-sized zipper bag. Add chicken; seal and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 4 hours. Whisk 1/4 cup of oil into the remaining mixture for dressing. Peel and section oranges. Sprinkle asparagus with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Charcoal Grill: Build a fire on only one side of the grill ( to conserve charcoal). When coals are covered with white ash, place chicken on a rack over direct heat, cover, and grill until well browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Turn, cover, and grill for another 4 to 6 minutes. Remove chicken and add asparagus spears perpendicular to the rack. Grill 3 to 5 minutes, until well browned and just cooked through.
- Gas Grill: At least 10 minutes before cooking, turn all burners on high. Clean rack with a wire brush, then use tongs to wipe paper towels soaked in vegetable oil over it, Place chicken and asparagus on the rack, being careful not to overcrowd. Cover and cook until chicken and asparagus are well browned about 3 minutes. Turn and continue to grill, covered until asparagus is just tender about 2 to 3 minutes longer, and chicken has cooked through 5 to 9 minutes longer depending upon thickness.
- To Bake: Set oven at 375º for 20-25 minutes (internal temperature of 165º).
- Remove chicken and let stand for 5 minutes or up to 1 hour. Cut crosswise, into 1/2 inch-thick slices. toss greens, oranges, salt, and pepper with most of the dressing. Arrange the salad in six shallow bowls. Place chicken and asparagus over each. Drizzle with remaining dressing.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: cals 386; protein 32.5g; carbohydrate 29g; fat 17g (sat fat 2.9g); sodium 290mg; fiber 6.4g