Mexican Squash and Bean Soup
Now is the time of year to make hearty warming soups, and what better ingredient to use than squash! Not only is it good for you because of its high vitamin and fiber content, it is delicious as well in just about anything savory! The recipe I am sharing with you today combines it with black beans and corn for the perfect balanced meal! It is fast and easy to make coming together in under an hour, and you will feel good after eating it not weighed down. Also, it happens to be gluten free and vegan as an added bonus! I like to make this and enjoy the leftovers for a few days, as the flavors get even better as they sit.
Author: Amy Lyons O’Neil
Amy has worked for Fresh and Natural Foods since 2006 contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan food and recipe blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She has also written 3 cookbooks. She specializes in vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local, fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- Add onions, garlic and oil to a large pot over medium heat and sautee until they are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chilies and spices and cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, water, sea salt, and bell pepper, and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes add the squash and cook until the squash is tender (about another 10 minutes).
- When the squash is almost tender, add the beans and corn and cook for a few more minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in lime juice and serve!
Rate this Recipe
- Heart Healthy