Mini Pecan Pies (GF, V)
Pecan pie is a classic Thanksgiving dessert! It was always one of my favorites, and I only got to enjoy it on Thanksgiving every year as a child. I make my own version as an adult, but when I am serving it to people, I sometimes like to make little individual ones so there is no cutting required when it comes to enjoying it. You just set it out and it is all set to go! Not only that, the mini pie portions are perfect for Thanksgiving when you are already pretty full from the rest of your meal. Bonus, these pies are vegan and gluten free! But you would never know because they are so delicious.
Amy currently works in our deli contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan dessert and food blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She is also a cookbook author, of the books Just Vegan Cakes, Fragrant Vanilla Cake: Sweet and Savory and Rawlicious Desserts. She specializes in raw, vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local,fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- To make the crust, in a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and sea salt.
- Cut in coconut oil with a pastry blender or 2 knives until it is in pea sized pieces.
- Mix in just enough water to create a smooth dough that holds together but isn’t too sticky. Add more water if needed, and knead slightly until a smooth dough is created.
- Roll out into a rectangle using floured parchment underneath and floured rolling pin. Cut into 16 circles.
- Oil a muffin pan well with coconut oil and fit the circles into the holes. Shape the edges that stick out if desired (I fluted mine).
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- To make filling, combine all ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor except the pecans. Process until smooth, then scrape into a bowl and stir in the pecans.
- Spoon the filling into the crusts in the pie tin, and top with more pecans to make the tops look pretty.
- Place in the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes until the crusts are starting to brown lightly. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack until warm.
Rate this Recipe
- Heart Healthy