Hungry for a flavorful steak burrito? Try this easy and delicious recipe that will certainly make you want to make again and again. So many healthy ingredients you won’t need anything else but the burrito and a beverage. Enjoy!
Adapted recipe from La Taqueria, San Francisco.
Author: Michelle Hanson
Michelle Hanson, MA, RD, LD is Fresh & Natural Food’s Registered Dietitian. She received a Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition and Clinical Dietetics with a minor in Community Health from the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities. She is a registered dietitian and current member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Michelle has been a nutrition consultant for numerous years as well as a nutrition research director at the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities.
Michelle is passionate about food and nutrition and believes in helping people find simple, realistic ways to make healthy eating a part of their everyday lifestyle.
If you are interested in meeting Michelle or have questions for her, you can email her at: email@example.com. She will look forward to meeting you!
- Cut steak in half crosswise. Using a meat mallet, pound meat until about 1/4 inch thick. Place both pieces in a resealable plastic and pour the beer into it and reseal the bag. Let the meat marinate for 10-15 minutes while preparing the other burrito ingredients. Remove steak from plastic bag, discarding marinade, and pat steak dry using a paper towel. Season steak on both sides with kosher salt.
- Meanwhile, heat the beans in a small pot over low heat with 2 T of olive oil. cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until warmed through. Remove from heat, season to taste with salt and keep covered until ready to assemble burritos.
- Cook the steak with 3 T of olive oil in a large skillet on high. Cook each steak until browned 1-2 minutes per side. Remove from heat, let rest for 5-10 minutes. Once slightly cooled, chop steak into bite size pieces.
- If you like to crisp the outside of your tortillas, heat 2 T olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook each side of the tortilla until golden brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble the burritos: Working with one burrito at a time, sprinkle 1/4 c cheese in a strip across the middle of the tortilla. Top with 1/3 cup beans and 1/2 c steak; top with 1/4c pico de gallo, 1 T salsa verde and 2 T sour cream. Using a spoon, smear a quarter of the avocado on one side of the fillings. Fold the tortilla wrap by turning the right and left edges inward toward the filling and wrap the rest of the tortilla up to make one burrito. Time to eat!