Pear and Roasted Squash Salad
Pears are in season right now and at their most flavorful, so I like to use them in a lot of recipes, savory and sweet in addition to snacking on them. The recipe I am sharing with you today happens to be savory, and combines the sweet pears with roasted squash for a hearty fall salad. I also include crunchy walnuts for a bit of protein and heart healthy oils! This is perfect for a light dinner if you make it 2 servings, or in addition to your meal as a healthy side.
Author: Amy Lyons O’Neil
Amy has worked for Fresh and Natural Foods since 2006 contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan food and recipe blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She has also written 3 cookbooks. She specializes in vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local, fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees, and oil 2 sheet pans.
- Toss the squash with 2 tsp olive oil, and spread out on the sheet pan. Sprinkle with sea salt, and place in the oven. Roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, toss the pears with the maple syrup and spread out on a sheet pan. Place in the oven and roast until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Place the arugula in a bowl, along with the onions, and half the walnuts.
- Whisk together the dressing until combined, then pour over the greens, and toss to coat.
- Place the greens mixture on a plate and top with the roasted squash, pears and more walnuts.
Rate this Recipe
- Heart Healthy
- Side Dish