Growing up, we always had Pfeffernusse Cookies on our baking list at Christmas time. They are a simple spiced cookie rolled on powdered sugar that is easy to make, and perfect for the holidays! These also happen to be gluten free and vegan but you would never guess by tasting them because they are so delicious!
Author: Amy Lyons O’Neil
Amy has worked for Fresh and Natural Foods since 2006 contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan food and recipe blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She has also written 3 cookbooks. She specializes in vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local, fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees, and line a sheet pan with parchment.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg, anise, pepper, and sea salt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, molasses, flax mixture, and vanilla.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry until well combined, and a uniform dough.
- Roll the dough into balls and set on a tray. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes, until they are more firm.
- Remove from the freezer and place on the prepared baking sheet a few inches apart.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes until the cookies are set.
- Place the powdered sugar in a bowl.
- When the cookies have finished baking, remove them from the oven, let cool a minute or two, then carefully roll each in the powdered sugar then place back on the tray.
- Let cool, and dust with a little more sugar if you wish (It works nicely to put it in a fine meshed strainer and tap it to dust them).
Cookies keep for 1 week at room temperature in an airtight container or 2 weeks refrigerated or 4 months frozen.
Rate this Recipe