Pinto Beans Verde
If your Dad is a fan of spicy food, I have the perfect dish to make for him as a side at your Father’s Day BBQ or picnic! It is simple to make, healthy, and suitable for those who eat a gluten free, dairy free, or on a plant based diet. It is a spicy pinto bean dish that comes together in about 20 minutes on the stove and it is perfect paired with a salad, some corn on the cob or anything grilled. It is tasty and good for you too, because it is packed with fiber and protein. I add in fresh cilantro and lime juice at the end to make the flavors pop. This would also be amazing as a taco filling if you have leftovers.
Author: Amy Lyons O’Neil
Amy has worked for Fresh and Natural Foods since 2006 contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan food and recipe blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She has also written 3 cookbooks. She specializes in vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local, fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat, and add the onions and garlic. Sautee for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the chilies, jalapeno, cumin, sea salt, and cook for about a minute until fragrant.
- Add the beans, and cook until hot and the flavors have melded, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from heat and add the lime juice and cilantro. Stir until well combined.
- Pour into a serving dish and enjoy!
Rate this Recipe
- Allergen Friendly
- Heart Healthy
- Side Dish