Fall is fast approaching, and that means chili season is almost here! I love chili as a quick weeknight meal as well, because it doesn’t take long to prepare which is perfect for after work. Also, it is good made ahead of time, so I make a batch and then enjoy it for a few days. It is classic to add beans and meat to chili, but I like mine with beans and quinoa for a a healthy vegan fiber and protein packed chili! It is so good you won’t even miss the meat, and it is good for you, so you will feel satisfied but still have energy after enjoying it. Give this a try the next time you are in need of a hearty quick meal!
Author: Amy Lyons O’Neil
Amy has worked for Fresh and Natural Foods since 2006 contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan food and recipe blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She has also written 3 cookbooks. She specializes in vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local, fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- Add the celery, onions, garlic and oil to a large pot and cook over medium heat until starting to soften, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the spices and cocoa powder and sautee a minute more until fragrant.
- Add the salt, tomatoes, vinegar, and 1 cup filtered water and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for about 20-25 minutes until the flavors have melded.
- Meanwhile, to cook the quinoa, add it to a small pot, covered by 1 cup filtered water and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer over low heat, cover and cook for about 8-10 minutes or until all of the water has absorbed.
- When the veggies are tender in the chili, add the beans and quinoa and stir to blend in.
- Let simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, and enjoy!
Rate this Recipe
- Allergen Friendly
- Heart Healthy