Red Velvet Cookies (GF,V)
If you are looking for a healthy treat for Valentine’s day, have I got the cookie recipe for you! It is a lovely red velvet cookie that tastes decadent and delicious, but includes veggies and healthy fats and is gluten free! I include a beet puree in these to give them their lovely color, but don’t worry, you can not taste them! I add in vegan dark chocolate and dried cherries for extra deliciousness. These are simply heavenly, and you need not tell your loved ones that they are gluten free, vegan and contain veggies, just let them enjoy!
Amy currently works in our deli contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan dessert and food blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She is also a cookbook author, of the books Just Vegan Cakes, Fragrant Vanilla Cake: Sweet and Savory and Rawlicious Desserts. She specializes in raw, vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local,fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut oil with sugar and whisk until well combined.
- Beat in the beets, vanilla extract, and syrup until well combined.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, then add to the large bowl, and mix until well combined, then add chocolate and cherries and mix until well distributed. Place in the fridge to chill until firm (an hour or two).
- To bake, Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll balls into about 3 inch balls, and place on prepared cookie sheets a couple inches apart (refrigerate unused dough while baking the other trays). Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until puffed and just starting to brown slightly (but do not overbake!). Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan a few minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining cookies.
Rate this Recipe
- Child Friendly