Spiced Pickled Beets
Beets are a good source of Iron and fiber, and are also delicious! If you like to add a few to your salads, I highly recommend making some pickled beets. They are actually pretty easy to make once you cook the beets, just combine all ingredients in a jar, place in the refrigerator and let sit a few days. They keep for up to a month, and you can just take a few out of the jar every time you want to use them in a salad. I like to marinate mine in an apple cider vinegar mixture because it has health benefits and it is a bit sweeter. I also add in some cumin, coriander, red pepper, and garlic, but if you don’t prefer those spices feel free to play around with your own. I would recommend dill and garlic too as that is also a delicious combination and it reminds me of cucumber pickles!
Amy currently works in our deli contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan dessert and food blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She is also a cookbook author, of the books Just Vegan Cakes, Fragrant Vanilla Cake: Sweet and Savory and Rawlicious Desserts. She specializes in raw, vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local,fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- To roast the beets, preheat the oven to 425F degrees.
- Wrap the beets in foil, and set on a pan.
- Place in the oven and roast for about an hour and 15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife.
- Once they are done, remove them from the oven and allow to cool until you are able to handle them comfortably.
- Peel them, rinse them off and slice them in half, then 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Place into a 4 cup glass jar, along with the garlic, onions, spices, salt, and vinegar. Fill to the top with vinegar. Place the lid on tight and shake to distribute the ingredients. Place in the refrigerator at least overnight or for a few days to allow the flavors to develop. Keeps in the refrigerator for 1 month.
Rate this Recipe
- Allergen Friendly
- Heart Healthy
- Side Dish