Vegan Blueberry Shortcake
I love a good fruit shortcake in the summer! Strawberry is the most popular, but blueberries are delicious in a shortcake as well! This one uses home made biscuits, and blueberries cooked to sweet perfection along with vegan coconut whipped cream for a delicious combination! It is the perfect way to showcase those Summer blueberries!
Amy currently works in our deli contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan dessert and food blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She is also a cookbook author, of the books Just Vegan Cakes, Fragrant Vanilla Cake: Sweet and Savory and Rawlicious Desserts. She specializes in raw, vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local,fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- In a medium saucepan, toss together the berries and maple syrup, and cook over medium heat until the berries are starting to burst. Add the arrowroot and lemon juice mixture and vanilla, stirring constantly and cook just until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with the rack at the center position.
- Meanwhile, to make biscuits, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the oil with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture starts to clump into pea sized pieces. In a small bowl, stir the vanilla extract into the coconut milk. Add the milk to the dough and stir a few times, but do not over-mix. The dough should hold together when squeezed, but still be clumpy. If you need a tad more coconut milk add it a couple Tbsp at a time. Place dough on a floured work surface, and pat into a 1/2 inch tall rectangle. Cut into 4 squares, and place on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Place biscuits in the oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes until starting to brown and done in the middle (but not over-baked).
- Remove biscuits from the oven and let cool.
- For the whipped cream, in a chilled bowl, with an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream until it becomes stiff peaks. Add the maple syrup, salt and vanilla and whip until blended in.
- To assemble, slice a biscuit in half (carefully), spoon some blueberries and coconut cream over that and top with another biscuit and more coconut cream. Repeat with the other 4.
Rate this Recipe