Vegan Lasagna Casserole
I love lasagna, it is classic comfort food and the type of thing I am craving this time of the year. But it is a bit more work to make with other pastas with the layering and all, and having to carefully cook the sheets of noodles. So, I make lasagna casserole instead! It still has all of the delicious things I love about lasagna, but is less work to make. This version is vegan and gluten free as well, but it tastes just as comforting and delicious as classic lasagna!
Amy currently works in our deli contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan dessert and food blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She is also a cookbook author, of the books Just Vegan Cakes, Fragrant Vanilla Cake: Sweet and Savory and Rawlicious Desserts. She specializes in raw, vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local,fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a pot, and add the onions and garlic. Sautee over medium heat until the onions have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, herbs, tomatoes and sea salt and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes until the flavors have blended and the tomatoes are more softened. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, to make the ricotta, combine the tofu, miso, nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice, and sea salt in a food processor and process until blended. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, and drain well. Add the pasta to the pot with the sauce, add the spinach and stir until well combined and the spinach is wilted.
- Oil a 2 quart casserole dish, and spoon half the pasta into it. Spoon the ricotta over that by the Tbsp so it is evenly distributed. Sprinkle some of the vegan mozzaralla over that, about 1/2 a cup. Spoon the rest of the pasta over that, then sprinkle with more of the mozzarella, about 3/4 cup.
- Place in the oven and bake until bubbling and the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.
Rate this Recipe