Vegan Spanakopita Rolls
These spanakopita rolls make the perfect appetizer for a holiday party! They are made with kale instead of spinach, avocado oil instead of the usual butter, and they contain vegan cheeses so they are dairy free as well but you would never know by tasting them because they are really delicious!
Author: Amy Lyons O’Neil
Amy has worked for Fresh and Natural Foods since 2006 contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan food and recipe blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She has also written 3 cookbooks. She specializes in vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local, fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees, and line a sheet pan with foil.
- To make the filling, in a pan, over medium heat, combine the onions, garlic, and olive oil and sautee until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the kale and cook until it is wilted and soft.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheeses.
- To assemble, cut the sheets of filo in half, so that you have 24 and cover the ones you are not using with plastic wrap so that they do not dry out while you are working.
- Working on a cutting board, set one sheet down, then spray with the avocado oil, then another sheet, then a little more oil, then the last sheet (each will have 3). Spoon 1/8 of the filling into the center of it in about a 3-4 inch line, wet the edges with a little water with your finger, around the entire edge (about 1/2 inch line so it seals) then fold the filo over on each side to cover the filling, then fold the filo from the top down to cover the filling, and roll into a roll. Place on the prepared foil. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Spray the rolls with a little avocado oil on the outside, sprinkle with a little sea salt.
- Place the rolls in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 15 minutes before serving.
Rate this Recipe