Vegan Strawberry Scones
Scones are the perfect thing to make on a weekend morning, they are so delicious while still warm out of the oven! Since strawberries are in season, I love to use them in baked goods like scones this time of the year. You may think that scones are difficult to make, but they are actually quite easy as long as you don’t over-handle the dough. These ones happen to be vegan, so if you are allergic to dairy or eggs, or just choose not to eat them, these are the perfect thing to make! They taste just as delicious as traditional scones too!
Author: Amy Lyons O’Neil
Amy has worked for Fresh and Natural Foods since 2006 contributing to the variety of healthful foods we offer. She graduated with a degree in studio art from Bethel University in 2007, but in her senior year of college, found that her passion was with the art of food. She later used her photography and culinary skills to create a vegan food and recipe blog, Fragrant Vanilla Cake. She has also written 3 cookbooks. She specializes in vegan and vegetarian recipes. Local, fresh and organic food has always been her focus in whatever she creates.
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees with the rack set at the middle position.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, almond meal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the coconut oil with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture starts to clump into pea sized pieces. In a small bowl, stir the vanilla into the coconut milk. Add the coconut milk to the dough, and stir a few times, but do not over-mix. The dough should hold together when squeezed, but still be clumpy.
- Fold in strawberries until evenly distributed.
- Place dough on a floured work surface, and shape into a circle, a few inches high. Use a bench scraper to cut into 8 triangles (like a pizza).
- Place scones on the prepared baking sheet, reshaping slightly if necessary.
- Brush the tops lightly with the coconut milk (only if they seem dry, you want the sugar to stick), and sprinkle with coconut sugar.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown (after about 15 minutes you may need to reshape with 2 bench scrapers if the scones are spreading, then place back in the oven).
- Cool on a wire rack.
Rate this Recipe